Saturday, November 03, 2012

An unpopular truth..........

Having spent an enormous amount of time at a University campus that has a student enrollment of over 50,000 students, and speaking with registered voters between 18 and 20 that voted in the last election and will vote in this one, a shocking revelation has come to light.

The main question asked was, "Who did you vote for in the last election and why"?
The largest number of answers were as follows:
"I voted for Obama because my girlfriend voted for him"
"I voted for Obama because he promised Hope & Change"
"I voted for Obama because he's black"
"I don't know...everyone else was voting for him"
"My parents told me to vote for him"
Most of these under 21's were either totally unknowledgeable about the person or the issues that they voted for.   Very few could state a reason that dealt with any issues.

When asked, "Who are you voting for this time and why"?
The majority of answers weren't any more practical.   The majority were as follows:
"Obama, because he's black"
"Obama, because he's going to get my student loan forgiven"
"Obama, because he's keeping my on my parents health insurance for a long time"
"Obama, because he got us free telephones"

The message that I got from all of these "well meaning and sincere" voters was that when our forefathers wrote the Constitution, they understood about the immaturity of voters below the age of 21.   Then in July 1971, the 26th Amendment was ratified, lowering the voting age from 21 to 18.
I understand all of the emotional arguments in favor of this; however, it has spawned a voting block that is ignorant and uneducated about what they're voting for.   Of course there are exceptions that are well read and versed in order to make an intelligent decision regarding their vote.   But these exceptions are few.

The 26th Amendment must be repealed as it allows for an immature group to be conned due to their own ignorance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home